Compass corp
Long Khanh Pagoda

Long Khanh is a large pagoda located in the center of Quy Nhon City. “Dai Nam Nhat Chi” records this pagoda as follows "Long Khanh Pagoda is located to the west of Thi Nai estuary, in the sand dunes in Cam Thuong village of Tuy Phuoc district, overlooking Ngu Ki lagoon, and was built by Venerable Nguyen Trinh Tuong in the 6th year of Gia Long Dynasty".


In the past, Cam Thuong Village was one part of Le Hong Phong ward, Le Loi ward and Tran Phu ward and part of Tran Hung Dao ward today. The premise of the pagoda now belongs to Le Loi ward, Quy Nhon City.

Located in the city center, Long Khanh Pagoda is one of the great Buddhist center of Binh Dinh. It is the worship place of Buddhist monks and one tourist attractions for tourists coming to Quy Nhon sea city.


The pagoda is constructed with the architecture of letter “Khau” in Sino-Vietnamese and consists of front hall and back hall. In the front hall, Adida Buddhist and Quan Am Chuan De are worshipped whereas Thich Ca Buddha is worshipped in the back hall. Along the  two sides are East and West rooms that are reserved for monks. Behind is To Dinh where ancestors are worshiped.

The original architecture of the temple no longer exists. The present was now basically rebuilt in 1956 and completed in 1972. This architecture resembles the architectural style pagoda in Southern China. Regarding architectural value, Long Khanh Pagoda has nothing unique, but it has a special position in the history and development of Quy Nhon City.

Thanks to texts engraved on the bell and taken notes in the Book of the history of Long Khanh Pagoda kept at the pagoda, it is known that Long Khanh pagoda was in Vinh Khanh Village, Quy Nhon City and was built by Nguyen Trinh Tuong, the 38th venerable of Lam Te. The bell was cast in the 4th year of Gia Long Dysnasty, in 1805. This is relatively consistent with records in Dai Nam Nhat Thong Chi. According to other Buddhist resources, however, Venerable Duc Son was real constructor whose spirit is now worship at To Dinh. He was the 35th of Lam Te Chanh Tongand he was born on 2 December, Tan Dau year.


According to Buddhist documents, when Master Duc Son set up To Dinh Long Khanh, this area was still called Quy Ninh. Compared with historical dates, this area existed from 1651 to 1742. Beside the bell, there are some ancient artifacts in the pagoda.



As mentioned above, Venerable Duc Son came to Quy Ninh between 1651 and 1742. During this time there was only one At Mui year - 1715. Therefore, the latest construction year of Long Khanh Pagoda was 1715 – the time when Venerable Duc Son had the bell cast, but not the year 1807 mentioned in Dai Nam Nhat Thong Chi and other recent documents. Venerable Nguyen Trinh Tuong is the founder, but he is just the person who innovated and had the bell cast in 1805. Venerable Nguyen Trinh Tuong is the 38th of Lam Te family and if  Venerable Duc Son is 1st, he is the 4th of To Dinh Long Khanh.


It can be concluded that the pagoda was built in Vinh Khanh Village, Quy Ninh city in 1715. Quy Ninh was renamed Qui Nhon City in the middle of the 18th century. In the 19th century,  Vinh Khanh Village was renamed Cam Thuong village, Tuy Phuoc district and Quy Nhon was renamed Binh Dinh Province. The authors in Dai Nam Nhat Thong Chi assembled Long Khanh Pagoda into this final places.

Despite the many times of innovation, Long Khanh Pagoda is a historically and  culturally valuable site. It was one of two oldest pagodas in Binh Dinh. Today, visitors from all corners of the world can have the moment of stillness, depth and reverance when entering this place.


According to Binh Dinh heritage

Your satisfaction is our first priority !